Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chinese Friends and the Hotpot experience

On the 4th of September we decided to go clubbing with our African friend Edgar and Stefan's roommate Val (short for Valentine).
We met Edgar in the previous week during a walk on campus. He told us that he arrived 3 weeks earlier than us and said he checked out a few nightclubs which he would like to take us to. In the mean time we had invited Val, who apparently went to NPU alone, to join us to dinner and lunch on regular basis. He seems to me like a nice guy which company I can enjoy. On Saturday the 5th of September we met up with Edgar and went to a club called Fantasy located in the main South street of the city center.
The moment we stepped in to Fantasy I had the feeling it was going to be a great night. I'm not sure if it was because of the hot stage girls dancing in their langere or if it was because of the bottle of Jack Daniels that Edgar had ordered. Either way it felt pretty good and it didn't take long before I got in a party mood and wanted to dance. Val joined me and before we knew it different Chinese girls wanted to have a dance with us. I was just enjoying the vibe dancing with different Chinese I thought this was pretty cool and with all respect I had a fun dance with them.

I took a break and had a drink with Stefan. We were talking about the club and the great time we were having so far in China. At that time I noticed a Chinese girl, that stood out by her cartoon-ish shirt, was standing in front of me. She said "hello" and introduced herself as Gaby. We talked a bit and soon after she wanted to have a dance, I agreed. We danced a bit, talked a bit and she seemed really nice. She asked for my Chinese mobile number, which we just so happened to buy a few days earlier. Unfortunate during my stay in the USA my HTC Hero phone decided to give me trouble after the wrong update was installed. This caused my phone to shut down at times when I most needed it, in this case to get a girl number. I asked Frank to catch her number and to give her mine. I told her I would contact her the next day when my phone would work. She took my number from Frank said goodbye and left. The rest of night we danced some more and a second bottle was ordered. By the time we arrived back at campus it was around 05:30. Unfortunate for us there was a big chain around the dorm entrance meaning that we had to wait for another hour before the door would be unlocked. We staid awake and at 06:20 the door opened, we could finally go to our dorm. For some, maybe a bit tipsy, reason I was tired of my phone malfunctioning and decided to fix it right away before heading to sleep. In the end it took me around 3 hours but I finally got it done! I went to bed at 09:30.

I slept for 5 hours before I got up at 13:30 with a slight hangover. However it seemed something had effected my system, because the stomach problems that occurred in Beijing returned. I made the conclusion that it had to be ice cube related. Since I'm quite sure it was not the alcohol previous drinks with beer were no problem, however any mix drink with ice cubes caused me to drop the next day.
With my phone fixed I asked Frank to give me Gaby's number. I send her a message and we started texting (SMS) back and forward, which on that same day turned in to MSN and later, on her recommendation, QQ (A Chinese messenger program). It seemed I made a Chinese friend she shortly after invited all of us to go with her on Wednesday to the Big Wild Pagoda, where the largest fountain of Asia is located. This seemed like a great idea and we accepted her invite.

We had a great time that Wednesday and Gaby introduced us to a few of her friends: Alwyn, Hayle, Tina. Together we watched the Fountain show which lasted about 20 minutes. After the show it was time to go back to campus and we got an invite to join all of them on Friday to eat the traditional 火锅 (Hotpot). Not knowing what Hotpot is we agreed to try it with them.

Friday 10th of September after our first week of Internship we took the bus to the restaurant where we would meet. We learned that day that traveling between 17:30 - 19:00 is near impossible due to the heavy traffic. We arrived a bit late but this didn't seemed to be much of a problem. Once settled down at a big round table, a big bowl of what seemed like some sort of soup, split up in two sections, spicy and not spicy, was presented in front of us. Our new Chinese friends ordered meat, vegetables and beers to celebrate our new friendship. The meat and vegetables was given raw on a plate and it was up to us to boil it in the soup. The concept was very interesting since everyone was eating from the same soup bowl with their chopsticks. At times Gaby would hand us some boiled food to help us out a bit since our skills with chopsticks where not that great.

After dinner we decided to all go to Fantasy here we had a great night. Again the same problem occurred with the dorm, it was locked with a big chain when we arrived. I was really exhausted of dancing with our Chinese friends and decided to lay down on the pavement. I fell a sleep for nearly an hour, by the time I woke up only 10 minutes were remaining before I could go inside an sleep. I had a great night and slept well, this time without any stomach problems. I'm quite sure we will meet our Chinese friends more often in the coming weeks to experience new things here in Xi'an.

0 reacties:

Post a Comment